Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Male singers that understand the line between romantic and creepy

Neil Sedaka Celebrates Fifty Years Of Hits


Every woman has a different idea of what's romantic. There's the ever so popular long walk on the beach, or dinner under the stars. I personally like my romance to have a little more edge, like cuddling under a blanket and watching Freddy Krueger tear the shit out of horny teenagers through their bed sheets.

But one thing that almost every woman, and man, would agree on is that music has been the cornerstone of romance since the beginning of time. In "Twelfth Night," Shakespeare wrote, "If music be the food of love, play on. . ."

You've got your Mariachi bands serenading lovers at nice restaurants and 9-piece orchestras at wedding receptions. In 1989 John Cusack held a boom box in the rain to declare his love for valedictorian Diane Court and in the 90s the boy band was born.

As has always been true, different women get the ooh-if-he-were-only-mine chills from different types of songs. David Archuleta has women swooning (some illegally, is he 18 yet?!?) over his crush that ain't going awaaay aay aaay yaa yaa.

Personally, I think Blink-182's "Going Away to College" is one of the most romantic songs ever written. "Why does it feel the same to fall in love or break it off?" Ahh, brilliant. Makes absolutely no sense, but just brilliant.

But I hope that all of us women can agree that sometimes men take their vocals too far. Songs about following your women around are usually creepy. Some of them are done ok, but the mostly they're just stalkerish.

However, songs about successful stalking due to supernatural abilities are just disturbing. Like Clay Aiken's "Invisible."

Watcha doin' tonight
I could be a fly on your wall
Are you really alone?

Then

If I was invisible
Then I could just watch you in your room
If I was invincible
I'd make you mine tonight

Kind of sounds like he's going to use his invisibility to sneak into her (his?) room and then rape her (him?). Thankfully, Clay turned out to be gay, so at least we know as women, we're safe.

Parachute was a little more explicit with their recent hit "Ghost."

Look behind you
Avoid the shadows
Watch your back now
Make your breathing shallow
Keep your room locked
And leave the blinds closed
I'm right there staring at your window

Then

I'm in the background
On the radio
I'm in your car, in your house
Waiting at your door
Under your footsteps
I'm everything you know
Just let me haunt, let me haunt
Let me be your ghost

Hmm. A lot of women dream of having a hit song written about them. I guess this sort of shatters that fantasy.

No comments:

Post a Comment