Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Diet secrets from a working girl who's always thinking about food

Businesswoman working and eating


At the risk of sounding like Cosmo, I've developed two tricks in my transition from full time college student to full time employee that saved me from the post-freshmen 15. In college, When you wake up at 11 every morning, the number of calories consumed before 11 a.m. is a whopping 0, and lunch is practically a second away. But when you have to be at work by 8 and awake by 7, it's a long way and a lot of hunger until noon.

There's a learning curve involved in re-developing your eating habits to match 40 hour a week schedules, especially when you think of food as on a higher plane than most worldly pleasures. Though I haven't lost any weight, I haven't gained any either, and I can promise these tips are completely original. None of that "eat several small meals a day" crap.

1. Pack snacks that you have to prepare. I used to bring two granola bars--one for the morning and one for the afternoon. But it's very difficult to know that food is right next to you and all you have to do is reach into your bag to eat it. Then you'll end up eating both at 9 a.m. and indulging your inevitable mid-afternoon hunger with a trip to the vending machines.

Now I bring oatmeal because having to get up, walk to the kitchen, mix in the water, wait for the microwave and then clean the bowl afterwards is such a pain that I have to be really hungry before I'm willing to take the time. Call me lazy, but it keeps me thin.

2. Eat your lunch at your desk while you're working, and spend your lunch break doing something recreational that doesn't involve eating. If you have an hour to eat, but are so hungry that you scarf down your sandwich in 10 minutes, you'll feel inclined to find more food to fill up the time. Instead, eat at your desk, and when you're finished go off somewhere with your book.

No comments:

Post a Comment