Monday, September 21, 2009

The lesbian kiss in "Jennifer's Body"

Jennifers Body Press Conference - TIFF 2009

When I first saw a preview for the slasher/possessed/high school Megan Fox flick "Jennifer's Body," I thought it looked ridiculous but I kind of secretly wanted to see it. Then I found out it was written by Diablo Cody, and I was no longer ashamed of my desire.

I had high hopes for how the ex-stripper, sharp (and busy) tongued creator of pregnant tomboy Juno would handle the old don't-go-in-there-because-you-will-be-[insert passive verb associated with eating, armageddon or getting high]-to- death.

The answer? I don't know, because I can't convince anyone to see it with me. My boyfriend came close, because, well, Megan Fox is sexy as hell, but I'd still have to exchange a night watching some documentary about the lesser known U.S. presidents. Sorry Diablo, you're not worth spending three hours trying to figure out how to strangle myself with my boyfriend's shoelace without him noticing.

Whether or not the movie delivered is secondary to the media buzz, especially about the kiss between Fox and co-star Amanda Seyfried. What's interesting, though, is how Cody, Fox and Seyfried all had different interpretations of the kiss.

Cody told the Frisky the kiss "was intended to be something profound and meaningful to me and to Karyn [Kusama, the director]. . .There is a sexual energy between the girls which is kind of authentic, because I know when I was a teenaged girl, the friendships that I had with other girls were almost romantic, they were so intense."

Seyfried had quite a different take on smooching Fox. She told WENN "We knew that it was going to play a really in role in publicizing the movie. We kind of rolled our eyes at the idea of having to make out."

And, of course, count-on-her-to-be-weird Fox, in an MTV interview, said she prefers kissing Seyfried over her soon-to-be-meat male co-stars.

"I feel much safer with girls, so I felt more comfortable kissing her in the movie than kissing any of the other people that I had to kiss."

Although Fox goes onto acknowledge that Seyfried felt uncomfortable with the whole thing, it sounds like the kiss was quite the spectacle, both on and off camera.

Why the fact that there's a lesbian kiss is such a big deal, who knows? I feel like more movies come out with at least minimal girl-on-girl action than they do without.


No comments:

Post a Comment